Aromasin belongs to the class of drugs known as aromatase inhibitors. The drug is used for treatment of breast cancer in women who have gone beyond the stage of menopause. The drug works by inhibiting the aromatase enzyme in the body. Aromatase enzyme is responsible for production of estrogen hormone in the body. The estrogen hormone is known to aid the growth of cancerous cells and tumor. Thus, by inhibiting the functioning of aromatase, the drug limits the production of estrogen, and hence, helps in keeping breast cancer in check.
Side effects/precautions of Aromasin
Aromasin has the active ingredient exemestane. People allergic to exemestane should refrain from using this drug. Apart from that, patients with kidney disease, liver disease, cirrhosis and osteoporosis should refrain from using this drug. Aromasin is also known to react with certain drugs such as Carbamazepine, rifapin, phenytoin and other drugs which contain estrogen. People on such drugs should consult the doctor before taking Aromasin.
Aromasin is a Class D pregnancy drug. Thus, pregnant women as well as women who are breastfeeding should refrain from using this drug since it can have an adverse effect on unborn as well as newborn child.
Some common side effects of Aromasin include muscle pain and joint pain, constipation, decrease in appetite, hair loss, flu like symptoms, diarrhea and pain in the abdomen. However, in some cases, severe side effects to the drug may show up like pain in the chest, depression, numbness in the feet and arms, jaundice, breathlessness and swelling of the hands or legs. If any of these symptoms show up, a qualified physician should be consulted immediately.
Safety information while taking Aromasin
- The drug usually causes dizziness. Thus, driving, working on heavy machinery and doing other tasks which require attention should not be done immediately after taking the drug.
- Regular blood tests and kidney tests may be done while on Aromasin. It is important to keep due dates in mind for proper monitoring of the condition.
- The drug should not be given to children as it can have an adverse effect on them.
Aromasin self care tips
- Alchol should be avoided when on this drug. Excessive consumption of alcohol when on Aromasin can lead to complications.
- The drug should be taken after a meal only. It should not be taken on an empty stomach.
- In case of feeling of uneasiness and nausea after taking the drug, anti nausea medications should be taken to get relief. Chewing gums also help relieve the symptoms of nausea.
- A good diet is important while on this drug. Small meals at frequent intervals should be had to maintain optimum health.
- In case hot flashes are experienced while on this drug, staying in a cool environment helps. Wearing light clothing also helps provide relief from the condition.
- The drug should preferably be taken at the same time everyday to get the maximum benefit.
- While on Aromasin, other drugs should be taken only after due consultation with a qualified physician to avoid complications.
Dosage of Aromasin
The drug is available as a 25 mg tablet. The usual recommended dose of the drug is one tablet daily after a meal. However, in patients with severe symptoms, the dose can go up to 50 mg. Overdose of the drug should be avoided at all costs since it can lead to severe complications.
A feeling of uneasiness after accidental overdosage should be immediately consulted with a doctor.
How to store Aromasin
Aromasin is available in bottles with 30 tablets each. It should be stored in a cool and dry place, in a temperature of 15-30 degree Celsius (59-86 degree Farenheit). The drug should be kept out of reach of children at all times.