Reductil (sibutramine hydrochloride)
What is Reductil?
Reductil, with active ingredient sibutramine hydrochloride, is a prescription drug which belongs to a class of drugs known as serotonin and nonadrenaline reuptake inhibitors. The drug is used for treating obesity in patients who have not benefitted from a low calorie diet.
The drug works by suppressing the appetite in patients so that they feel full faster and hence, do not need to eat as much. However, unlike appetite suppressant drugs, Reductil works by regulating the level of two chemicals in the brain viz. serotonin and nonadrenaline. The drug also stops lowering down of the metabolic rate, hence further aiding the weight loss process.
Weight loss is generally accompanied with slower metabolic rate which hampers the weight loss process.
Precautions/side effects of Reductil
Reductil contains the active ingredient sibutramine hydrochloride. Patienst allergic to this ingredient should refrain from taking the drug. Other than that, patients with a history of heart attack or angina or with hardened arteries and patients over 65 years of age should refrain from taking this drug. Patients with high blood pressure, kidney disease, liver disease or diabetes should take this drug only after consultation with a doctor.
The drug is also known to react with certain medications such as erythromycin, ketoconazole, medications used for treating epilepsy such as phenytoin, medications used for treating cough and cold, weight loss drugs etc. Patients on these medications or any other prescription drugs should inform their physician accordingly before taking Reductil.
Reductil is a Category C pregnancy drug. Thus, it may have adverse effects on the newborn as well as unborn child. Hence, pregnant women as well as women who are breastfeeding should take this medicine only after consultation with a doctor.
The drug is also known to have certain side effects such as headache, constipation, dryness in the mouth, insomnia, loss of appetite, increased sweating etc. However, in some cases, serious side effects may show up to the drug such as irregular heartbeat, memory loss, blurred vision, seizures, unexplained bleeding under the skin, increased or decreased urination etc. If any of these symptoms show up after taking the drug, a doctor should be consulted immediately.
Please note that the above is not a complete list of side effects to Reductil.
Important safety information
- The drug is known to cause drowsiness. Thus, risky tasks which require attention such as driving or working on heavy machinery should be avoided immediately after taking the drug.
- Consumption of alcohol should be avoided while on Reductil as alcohol is known to increase the risk of side effects to the drug.
- Lifestyle changes and changes in dietary intake are an important part of treatment of obesity. These should be inculcated while taking Reductil.
- It is important to undergo regular lab tests to monitor blood pressure levels and the condition of the heart while on Reductil.
- Women should use contraceptive methods while on Reductil. However, oral contraceptives should be taken only after consultation with a doctor.
- The drug should be stopped after one year of treatment as prolonged use of the drug is known to have serious side effects.
- Reductil should never be used to treat obesity in any other patient with the same symptoms as yours unless prescribed by the doctor.
Dosage of Reductil
Reductil is available in strengths of 10 mg and 15 mg capsules. The usual dosage of the drug is once daily. However, the actual dosage may differ depending on the diagnosis of the patient.
The drug can be taken with or without food. However, it should be taken at the same time everyday to maximize its efficiency.
Overdose of the drug should be avoided at all costs. If a dose is missed, it should be had as soon as possible. However, it should not be clubbed with the next dose. Overdose of the drug can lead to severe symptoms such as irregular heartbeat, vomiting, diarrhea etc. which require immediate medical attention.
Storage of Reductil
Reductil should be stored at room temperature, in a cool and dry place away from sunlight. It should be stored out of reach of children as well as pets at all times.